[Koha-devel] ANNOUNCE: New Installer in master git tree

MJ Ray mjr at phonecoop.coop
Mon Sep 10 10:24:10 CEST 2007

Well, one koha user already tried it, so I guess I should announce it here:

THE NEW INSTALLER IS IN THE MASTER TREE

The new installer is based on MakeMaker, the tool that is usually used
to install CPAN modules.  This means that if you know how to customise
CPAN-installed modules, the same things should work for you with Koha.
If not, don't worry.  If you want to customise the installation more
than described in the README.txt, run "man ExtUtils::MakeMaker"

By default, the installer doesn't ask you any questions and tries to
assume sane defaults, which I think is A Good Thing, but you can
override most of the settings with environment variables. For
instructions on how, run perldoc rewrite-config.PL

As well as the CPAN-package-style installation, there is also a very
quick-and-dirty script called install-CPAN.pl which should install all
dependencies from CPAN automatically.

For instructions on how to package releases, run perldoc Makefile.PL

TREE STRUCTURE

       C4/*.pm is copied to perl’s lib namespace.

       CGIs are copied to $(PREFIX)/lib/cgi−bin/koha/ and other
       scripts to koha/ in perl's lib.

       Config files are copied to $(PREFIX)/share/koha/etc

       Templates are copied to koha/templates, excluding non−files,
       CVS files and whitespace in filenames.

KNOWN BUGS

There is no zebra init script and some of the zebra-related
directories are not constructed and not complete.  This is partly
because I don't really know what I'm doing with the zebra server yet.
Can anyone explain it to me, or remind me where to find the
explanation, please?

Thanks,
Experienced webmaster-developers for hire http://www.ttllp.co.uk/
Also: statistician, sysadmin, online shop builder, workers co-op.