[Koha-devel] ANNOUNCE: New Installer in master git tree

Paul POULAIN paul.poulain at free.fr
Thu Sep 20 17:07:25 CEST 2007

MJ Ray a écrit :
> Paul POULAIN <paul.poulain at free.fr> wrote:
>> - how to define the directory where I want to install Koha ?
>
> Set PREFIX and CGI_DIR environment variables, but the File Hierarchy
> Standard defaults should be good for most people.  See perldoc
> rewrite-config.PL for a full list of what you can change.

something to add in README.txt

>> - how to define login/password for mySQL ? (same question for zebra)
>
> Set the MYSQL_DB, MYSQL_HOST, MYSQL_PASS, MYSQL_USER environment
> variables.  Maybe I should mention these in README.txt and randomise
> an unset MYSQL_PASS instead of using katikoan.
>
> The installer does not yet configure zebra.  See the KNOWN BUGS bit of
> my announcement.  That is the next-but-one thing on my TODO.

I think that the install setup should be :
- install Koha, apache part
- run webinstaller for librarian questions
- at the end of the webinstaller, ask "are you a large library, that
will run zebra, or a small one that will run Koha 3.0 without zebra"
(explain what it means exactly here)
If the user choose "NoZebra" => set the systempref accordingly
If the user choose "Zebra"   => just say "ok guy, you'll have to ask
your sysadm to install zebra, say him to look at wiki.koha.org/blabla
Note that you won't be able to search in your catalogue until he has
done the stuff. Other functions are running immediatly"

Then the sysadm runs what is needed to run zebra.
I can't imagine even a second that setting zebra can be done through a
script.
rebuild_zebra.pl will do most of the stuff, but the library will have to
set zebra as a service, and that's different on every system (Linux,
Unix, Mac OSX, Windows)
Plus Zebra is for large libraries, with a sysadm, so it's not a problem
for me. If I were a sysadm, I would be happier to have some doc than a
script that need to be root & run I don't know what...

> While you can tell koha the MySQL connection details, actually
> creating the MySQL login and DB will be left to the sysadmin.  This is
> because there's just too much variety between different distributions
> and hosting control panels on the "correct" way to do it.  I believe
> that's why the mysql step of 2.x installer broke so often.  I'm quite
> happy to include a setup-mysql.sh script in the distribution, but I
> think it needs to be its own step.

agree.

> If someone would like to prove me wrong now and tell me one way that
> will work for all platforms, go for it ;-)

I have the same feeling ;-)

> [...]
>> Note that the webinstaller requires the koha login/password, and only that.
>
> Could the web installer ask for (but not store) the mysql admin
> login/password and create the koha login/password if it doesn't work
> yet?

It could, but it would need a root/login access, that can't be required
because the main idea of the web installer is to have something for the
*librarian* And I can't imagine a sysadmin giving a root access to a
librarian ;-)

So the idea to have a small script is the best direction to go imho.

--
Paul POULAIN et Henri Damien LAURENT
Consultants indépendants en logiciels libres et bibliothéconomie