[Koha-devel] ANNOUNCE: New Installer in master git tree

Joshua M. Ferraro jmf at liblime.com
Mon Sep 24 13:01:49 CEST 2007

----- "Paul POULAIN" <paul.poulain at free.fr> wrote:
> MJ Ray a écrit :
> > Paul POULAIN <paul.poulain at free.fr> wrote:
> >> - how to define the directory where I want to install Koha ?
> >
> > Set PREFIX and CGI_DIR environment variables, but the File
> Hierarchy
> > Standard defaults should be good for most people.  See perldoc
> > rewrite-config.PL for a full list of what you can change.
>
> something to add in README.txt
>
> >> - how to define login/password for mySQL ? (same question for
> zebra)
> >
> > Set the MYSQL_DB, MYSQL_HOST, MYSQL_PASS, MYSQL_USER environment
> > variables.  Maybe I should mention these in README.txt and
> randomise
> > an unset MYSQL_PASS instead of using katikoan.
> >
> > The installer does not yet configure zebra.  See the KNOWN BUGS bit of
> > my announcement.  That is the next-but-one thing on my TODO.
>
> I think that the install setup should be :
> - install Koha, apache part
> - run webinstaller for librarian questions
> - at the end of the webinstaller, ask "are you a large library, that
> will run zebra, or a small one that will run Koha 3.0 without zebra"
> (explain what it means exactly here)
> If the user choose "NoZebra" => set the systempref accordingly
> If the user choose "Zebra"   => just say "ok guy, you'll have to ask
> your sysadm to install zebra, say him to look at wiki.koha.org/blabla
>
> Note that you won't be able to search in your catalogue until he has
> done the stuff. Other functions are running immediatly"
>
> Then the sysadm runs what is needed to run zebra.
> I can't imagine even a second that setting zebra can be done through a
> script.
Most of Zebra's configuration can now be set up using a set of standard
conventions, I don't think we should just relegate that setup to the
local sysadmin, it's too complicated a process. We need to provide them
with some sound defaults IMO. For instance, I think official Koha 3.0
should have both global and database-specific configuration files, probably
the following:

global:
default.idx
explain.att
gils.att
numeric.chr
tagsetm.tag
word-phrase-utf.chr
explain.abs
explain.tag
kohalis
sort-string-utf.chr
usmarc.mar

database-specific:
bib1.att
record.abs

Of these, the only one that MUST be configured for each system is
kohalis, that stores the Zebra authentication info.

> rebuild_zebra.pl will do most of the stuff, but the library will have
> to set zebra as a service, and that's different on every system (Linux,
> Unix, Mac OSX, Windows)
> Plus Zebra is for large libraries, with a sysadm, so it's not a
> problem  for me. If I were a sysadm, I would be happier to have some doc than a
> script that need to be root & run I don't know what...
I think we definitely want to provide documentation, but I also think
that if Zebra's too hard to use, users won't bother.

Cheers,