[Koha-devel] IndependantBranches & editing items

Paul POULAIN paul.poulain at free.fr
Thu Apr 10 16:48:17 CEST 2008

Hello,

I have an open question for a use case we don't handle correctly atm.

Suppose a library consortia with IndependantBranches=ON

Items can be modified only by the Homebranch. That's logic.

but I have a library that is IndependantBranche=ON, but books come from
2 sources :
- self-acquired
- issued by a third (region wide) library, dedicated to issue books to
small library. We have one "BDP" (Bibliothèque Départementale de Prêt)
in each department in France, and we have 98 departments...

The books issued by the BDP are issued for a long period (3months =>
1year). They are stored in a shelf in the holding library as
self-acquired books.
So, the holdinglibrary sometimes want... to change the itemcallnumber or
location

And with IndependantBranches=ON, only the homebranch can edit the item,
and we have a problem...

The easiest solution would be to let holdingbranch edit the items. Could
it be OK for everybody ? Not sure. Your opinion welcomed.
The other easiest solution could be to say "ok, it's only for
superlibrarian". The library could accept this, but, obviously, it's not
the best from a user point of view.
Another solution could be to have a new syspref, but i'm against adding
syspref & syspref & syspref...

Does anyone have another solution or idea ?
--
Paul POULAIN
http://www.biblibre.com