[Koha-devel] changing the language files localy

Axel Bojer axelb at skolelinux.no
Sat Apr 12 13:18:46 CEST 2008

Axel Bojer wrote:
> Hi!
>
> We have successfully installed Koha beta2, and are proof reading it now.
> What would be nice were if we could change the language files manually
> on our installation, just to check our translation before we submit it
> toy you. Is this possible?
>
> For other programs there are *.mo-files in /usr/share/locale-langpack/
> but there are no koha/staff/opac-files there. All I find is tmp-files
> with some localised language-strings, like:
> nb-NO/modules/installer/auth.tmpl

Luckily I found a system administrator of a Koha system who knew the
answer, so I am now sharing it with you (since no one else answered):

Go to "misc/translator/"
In the folder "po" you will find all the po-files. Thos can be replaced
by your fixed files. Then you will have to reinstall the language files,
by running the script "rebuild_lang.sh" locally on the Koha-server. My
content now is like this:

#!/bin/sh
# bokmål
./tmpl_process3.pl install -r -s po/nb-NO-i-opac-t-prog-v-3000000.po -i
../../opac/htdocs/opac-tmpl/prog/en -o
../../opac/htdocs/opac-tmpl/prog/nb-NO
./tmpl_process3.pl install -r -s po/nb-NO-i-staff-prog-v-3000000.po -i
../../intranet/htdocs/intranet-tmpl/prog/en -o
../../intranet/htdocs/intranet-tmpl/prog/nb-NO

# nynorsk
./tmpl_process3.pl install -r -s po/nn-NO-i-opac-t-prog-v-3000000.po -i
../../opac/htdocs/opac-tmpl/prog/en -o
../../opac/htdocs/opac-tmpl/prog/nn-NO
./tmpl_process3.pl install -r -s po/nn-NO-i-staff-prog-v-3000000.po -i
../../intranet/htdocs/intranet-tmpl/prog/en -o
../../intranet/htdocs/intranet-tmpl/prog/nn-NO

Change it according to your language, and it should work :-)

(BTW: Observant readers will see that we are here installing two
languages, cut it down to one if you want :-))

(takes less than a minute to run on our system, so right after my
changes I can actually SEE them -- Awesome!)

Best regards
Axel Bojer