[Koha-devel] Vote NOW for the Koha Community Website Theme

Joshua Ferraro jmf at liblime.com
Tue Apr 15 01:48:31 CEST 2008

On Mon, Apr 14, 2008 at 10:03 AM, Paul POULAIN <paul.poulain at free.fr> wrote:
> Joshua Ferraro a écrit :
>

> > On Mon, Apr 14, 2008 at 5:09 AM, Paul POULAIN <paul.poulain at free.fr>
> wrote:

> > >  >
> > >  > You may now vote for the Koha Community Website Theme here:
> > >  >
> > >  > http://www.surveymonkey.com/s.aspx?sm=cXmKffvDeO7c48PVcFB4BA_3d_3d
> > >
> > >  Hello,
> > >
> > >  There are 3 themes, and/but all votes are ranked between 1 and 10.
> > >
> > >  Does it mean we can give a 10 to all the themes if we like them (or 1
> if
> > >  we dislike them all) ? or 1/5/10, or 1, 2, 3.
> > >
> > The idea is to rank your favorite on a scale of 1-10 or 1-5. If you like
> > two themes the same, you can rank them the same.
> >

>  and, at the end, the theme that will get the best rank will be selected ?
>  Mathematically, there's something strange :
>  Suppose I rank the themes 2, 3, 5. Two of us doing the same.
>
>  someone else then vote "10, 0, 1"
>  Results : 14 points for #1, 11 for #3 => #1 is choosen.
>  Although we are 2 that prefer #3 and only one that prefer #1.
>

>  How will we handle results saying : color scheme (question 1) #1 wins, and
> continuity (question 2) #3 wins.
>  who will win in this case ?
>
>  What happends, if the average ranking is poor for all themes ? We try a new
> contest ? (sorry to imagine the worst case)
>
>  wikipedia (at least fr.wikipedia) has lot of pages about voting system (who
> says "trolling" pages ?). None of them is perfect (US have choosen a
> president with less ppl voting for him than for his opponent if I don't mind
> ;-) ). so I don't want this system to be changed, I just suggest the system
> to be a little bit more explained.
Yep, I've a feeling any method we chose would have elicited questions
about methodology. The trick seems to be to send a sample out first, and
collect the feedback before sending the final copy out, which would have
been nice.

Unfortunately, the folks organizing this site, myself included, didn't have
much time to spend on it, and the benefits of getting it done and out there for
folks to use necessitate that we do our best to move things along quickly. Some
people in this community have been waiting for a multi-lingual site
for literally
YEARS! Also, our current website update process is pretty non-transparent
 -- there are a lot of people in our community who would love to contribute
content but who don't have a way to do that meaningfully.

I don't have good answers for you Paul, on any of those points. I guess I am
hoping the results will give us a clear indication of a winner. If
they don't, we
may have to look at these issues as a group.

Cheers,

--
Joshua Ferraro SUPPORT FOR OPEN-SOURCE SOFTWARE
CEO migration, training, maintenance, support