[Koha-devel] Authorities searching (3 things)

Paul POULAIN paul.poulain at free.fr
Wed Apr 16 18:36:44 CEST 2008

Hello,

3 questions/problems/suggestions :

=== 1 ===
Previously, one could search on authorities :
- on the $a of the heading. Useful to find "Mister John" by not having
all firstname "john"
- on the heading itself
- anywhere in the authority

Those 3 possibilities are still in the staff client, but ... the
underlying code treat $a as "Heading", and the result is the same as for
heading.

I don't know in MARC21, but in UNIMARC, the possibility was very
important and interesting.
I volunteer to reintroduce it, but I must know if it has been removed by
mistake, or if there is something specific to MARC21.

=== 2 ===
Ordering authorities. Actually, the order is done on heading $a.
That's not enough : when you search the author "Martin" (our french
"Doe"), you get zillions results, unordered on the firstname.
So we need to introduce a 2nd level of ordering. In UNIMARC, usually on
the $b of the heading.

=== 3 ====
the authority-search.inc : there are 3 tabs, to search on heading ($a),
heading, anywhere.
libraries prefer the previous interface, that displayed the 3 lines, to
show that you can search :
heading ($a) : _______________
Heading      : _______________
Anywhere     : _______________
and you can search the 3 simultaneously.
for example : heading ($a) : john, heading : Owen will find only surname
john and firstname owen.
the new behaviour is not clear enough for the users imo.

how could we reintroduce the clear choice of the 3 input fields
available at the same time ?

Your opinion welcomed.
--
Paul POULAIN