[Koha-devel] Vote NOW for the Koha Community Website Theme

Joshua Ferraro jmf at liblime.com
Thu Apr 17 12:33:50 CEST 2008

On Thu, Apr 17, 2008 at 3:28 AM, MJ Ray <mjr at phonecoop.coop> wrote:
> "Joshua Ferraro" <jmf at liblime.com> wrote:
>  > On Wed, Apr 16, 2008 at 1:48 PM, MJ Ray <mjr at phonecoop.coop> wrote:
>
> > >  To update the current website, log in to kea on koha2, pick a file,
>  > >  edit it in the browser, then click to notify the webmaster (Russel
>  > >  IIRC) that there's an update waiting.  If you need a login, ask Russel
>  [...]
>
> > >  So what does "pretty non-transparent" mean?  Not at LibLime?
>  > Not sure what you're implying here, and whether I should be offended by it :-)
>
>  Well, that makes two of us.  I don't know what "pretty
>  non-transparent" means and you've ignored a direct question about it.
>  Why all the evasion recently?
>

>  > > To me,
>  > >  koha2 seems more transparent than this new Plone site's development!
>  > Ahem ... the process you describe requires that you know someone, or that
>  > you post a list question asking how to add or translate content on the website.
>  > In the new Plone-based model, you just sign up and away you go. For some
>  > content we might want to have it moderated, but in general, I vote that we
>  > keep it as wiki-style as possible.
>
>  I just signed up on skin3 and there's no way to edit anything.  Where
>  should I be looking?
>
>  Oh look!  I'm posting a list question asking how to add or translate
>  content on the website... so it's exactly as transparent as before.
>  The main difference is that this time, no-one, except maybe possibly
>  at LibLime, knows the people.
>
>  Can we put the Plone site into the long grass until after 3.0 is out
>  and we've a few deployments under our belt, please?  You say you've
>  not got time to work on it or run a normal vote, we've not had time to
>  convert the current design, I doubt many people have got time to learn
>  how to edit Plone just now and kea isn't that much worse.
To edit a plone site, you click on edit. It sounds like the skin2 site hasn't
had the user profiles set up the way that koha.org will.

MJ, you're the only one to raise an objection to plone and suggest that we
should delay the website update -- that's hardly concensus. The multi-lingual
needs of our community alone are serious incentive to get this finished. As
I've stated in the past, there are some folks who have been waiting to have
a koha.org in their language for YEARS.

It sounds like you and paul prefer aspects of the current koha.org design,
but I haven't heard any specifics yet. It's very possible we could include
those aspects into the final plone skin. Either of you care to elaborate on
what it is about the current design that you like?

Cheers,

--
Joshua Ferraro SUPPORT FOR OPEN-SOURCE SOFTWARE
CEO migration, training, maintenance, support