[Koha-devel] .gitignore

Andrew Moore andrew.moore at liblime.com
Mon Apr 21 15:04:03 CEST 2008

On Fri, Apr 18, 2008 at 1:43 PM, Ryan Higgins <ryan.higgins at liblime.com> wrote:

> I'd like to suggest that the .gitignore recently pushed to the public repo
> be removed,
> and that Koha not enforce any conventions via .gitignore .

Hi Ryan -

We chatted a bit about this on IRC, but I'm not sure if I understood
that we ever came to any conclusions. Some of the points I recall that
we discussed are:

* It seems that you're not supposed to put personal things like *~ to
skip emacs backup files in .gitignore. They're supposed to go in
.git/info/exclude. It sounds like we're breaking that convention, and
I don't think there would be an resistance against fixing this. see
<http://www.kernel.org/pub/software/scm/git/docs/gitignore.html>

* Temporary files that get made by the build process like .patch or
t/run may be OK for .gitignore. I'm not sure if I understood if
leaving these things there would be OK for you or not. I think the
suggestion here was "stuff that 'make clean' would remove"

I don't recall that there was no real strong argument to keep the file
in git if it's actually causing problems. If we keep the two points
above in mind, do you think that this file will still cause the types
of problems that you saw?

-Andy