[Koha-devel] cat search result list in OPAC & staff

Owen Leonard oleonard at myacpl.org
Tue Aug 5 17:16:24 CEST 2008

> Maybe the answer is to make the staff interface a bit like the social
> networking websites do and have a first part of the display as "public
> profile" and then an extra part that appears in the staff interface.

To preface: I think the advanced search interfaces are underdeveloped.
They've really not been properly overhauled for 3.0. Maybe we can hash
something out that's better for 3.2.

Josh and I discussed at one point an advanced search interface for the
OPAC that was much like WorldCat's:

http://www.worldcat.org/advancedsearch

Fairly bold, very linear, and with some basic hints on functionality.
The way we talked about it, there could be a link to a "power search"
interface that had more options like boolean operators, additional
limiters, etc.

I'm not sure that the staff interface would really have to differ
significantly (if at all) from the public one...it doesn't in
dev_week, and that has worked well for NPL.

I do think that the staff interface for search results should offer
the librarian more information if necessary. Right now the primary
functional difference is the detailed display of holdings information
and statuses. I'd say that's an appropriate difference. But as for
line breaks and minor display changes, as Paul describes, I don't have
any objections to making the displays more alike.

  -- Owen

--
Web Developer
Athens County Public Libraries