[Koha-devel] Convincing City IT Dept.

Paul POULAIN paul.poulain at free.fr
Tue Aug 5 18:08:48 CEST 2008

Ed Veal a écrit :
> So my question is how do I convince the IT department of this? I can't
> seem to get it through to them that this is not just any old SQL database.

Say them something like : "so, we will build a marc21 record, with a
nice leader, some authorities links, the requested coded fields. Don't
forget we will also have to build iso2709 records, embeeding items in
952 or 942 field. Subfields a to z will have to be filled".

They will look at you and think "hey, it's a martian..."

You : "you don't understand what I mean ? i'm not surprised. The good
news is that LL would know... It totally counter productive to learn all
that stuff for just 1 migration"

In fact, it's true : it IS counter productive to learn how to play[1]
with MARC if it's just one shot !

[1] play is not the best term here... as it's more a nightmare than a
game when you start ;-)

--
Paul POULAIN
http://www.biblibre.com