[Koha-devel] Convincing City IT Dept.

David Schuster dschust1 at tx.rr.com
Thu Aug 7 15:29:15 CEST 2008

I really think what Ed is asking is how can he get his management to pay for
Migration and support for this "Free" Opensource software....

I have no doubt they are willing to use Koha, but IT people see it as a
database is a database just "upload your data"...

The key here is - ok when I have a patron who checks out a book and it says
it is the wrong book who do I call...  Or - if you are using any SIP items -
How do I get the system up an running and talking...  How many hours did it
take you with the existing system to get it up and running and tell them an
IT person will have to work on setting this up.  Do they have a programmer
up to speed already with Perl to fix things that break?

You might also mention that there is this circulation data that has to move
as well and there isn't a standard for moving that so how do you propose
getting that data out and into Koha?  LibLime will do that for you...  Not
to mention the status' on all your items.  Unless you are going cold turkey
and loosing all your history on your old system.

You want to setup the system the most efficiently right, but you don't have
the time so Migration costs are legit...  to pay LibLime.

Those are my 2 cents.

David Schuster