[Koha-devel] Some thoughts about bulkediting Biblios testing merge_authority.pl .

henridamien.laurent henridamien.laurent at biblibre.com
Sat Aug 9 22:49:30 CEST 2008

Hi
I tested yesterday some authorities modification on the fly.
I see two bottlenecks :
a) commits in the database are done on each record processed.
they should be delayed until all the records are processed. At the
moment there is no way using ModBiblio to take control over commits in
the database, unless I am mistaken.
Could be added quite fast. Someone wanting to test that solution ?

b) having to act record by record rather than on the whole bunch of records.
Indeed, NoZebra uses GetMarcbiblio and zebra returns USMARC or marcxml
but record by record.
When it comes to editing 200 biblios, it takes several seconds.
maybe if we could have a file containing all the biblios and apply one
s///g it could be lightning fast.
The problem would be then that there is no batch update into the
database designed.
But maybe I am dreaming.

Nonetheless, if we can't make batch update faster, then we should make
it a scheduled process (and have a good API for that which would support
regular scheduling).

Comments welcome.

--
Henri-Damien LAURENT