[Koha-devel] Proposed schedule for 3.2

Galen Charlton galen.charlton at liblime.com
Mon Aug 11 17:30:59 CEST 2008

Hi,

For your consideration, an outline of a schedule for Koha 3.2.  This
is organized by weeks, with this week being Week 1.  My main
scheduling goals are to have more frequent intermediate releases, to
explicitly schedule several periods of bugfixing between the feature
pushes, and to release Koha 3.2 no later than the second quarter of
2009 (and preferably, by the end the first quarter).

[1] Plotting and planning (weeks 1 to 5)

During this period, we'll finishing submitting RFCs for 3.2 and review
them.  Patches to 3.1 will be accepted, but I may stick anything
particularly controversial onto a topic branch until the community has
had time to digest the relevant RFCs.

At the end of this period, I hope to have:

* A list of features that contributors are committed to delivering for
3.2, as well as those that may be pushed off to 3.4 and 3.6.
* A list of any architectural and major technology changes for 3.2.
* Final coding standards for 3.2.

At the end of this period, I tentatively plan to do an initial release
of 3.1 (to be called 3.1-dev-release-0), mostly to verify that I can
put the package together correctly.  This may coincide with release of
3.0.1 (first bugfixes for 3.0-stable).

[2] Coding phase 1 (weeks 6 to 9)

Period of intensive hacking.

[3] Stabilization 1 (weeks 10 and 11)

Freeze on major developments; during this time we focus on bugfixing.
At the end of this period I will release 3.1-dev-release-1.

[4] Coding phase 2 (weeks 12 to 15)

More hacking.

[5] Stabilization 2 (weeks 16 and 17)

At the end of this period I will release 3.1-dev-release-2.

[6] Coding phase 3 (weeks 18-21)

More hacking.

[6] Stabilization 3 (weeks 22 and 23).

At the end of this period I will release 3.2-alpha.

[7] Catchup feature developement (weeks 24 and 25).

Last chance to put in small and medium-sized features.  If we can
swing it, after this period ends new feature work will go on a branch
for inclusion in 3.4.

[8] Stabilization 4 (weeks 26 and 27)

At the end of this period I will release 3.2-beta.

[9] General non-coder review and bugfixing (weeks 28 to 31).

At the end of this period I will release 3.2-rc1.

[10] Final release (weeks 32 and 33)

At the end of this, 3.2-stable.  If I'm counting the weeks correctly,
that corresponds to the end of March, 2009.

Regards,

Galen
--
Galen Charlton