[Koha-devel] Call for Translation Manager

Joshua Ferraro jmf at liblime.com
Mon Aug 11 17:57:53 CEST 2008

Hi folks,

Well, 3.0-stable is finally out, and includes over 31 translations,
and that's really amazing ... thanks so much for all your hard work
these past months!

I'm writing this email to let you all know that I'm stepping down as
the unofficial Translation Manager for future versions of Koha. For
3.0, I was serving as the Release Manager, de-facto QA Manager and
the de-facto Translation Manager, and needless to say, that's too much
for one person to bear -- I need a break.

Many of you had excellent ideas for how to improve the translation
framework in Koha to ease the process of translation, and improve
the quality of the translations. I wish we'd had time to implement
those ideas for 3.0, and I'm hoping we'll have a chance to do so
for future versions of Koha.

So ... I'm requesting candidates for the (hopefully) official position
of Translation Manager. Here's a rough outline of the responsibilities:

  * Maintain a mechanism for non-technical translation teams to
    contribute translations to the Koha project (similar to
    the kartouche tool I've maintained at http://translate.koha.org,
    though as many of you have pointed out, better tools exist.

  * Keep all the translation .po files up to date from release to
    release, including translations submitted via the project-wide
    translation tool, and translations submitted by others

  * Coordinate with the RM to set 'string freezes' and communicate
    to the translation community about such dates

  * Coordinate with the RM to prepare and install translations of
    Koha

An ideal candidate would have the technical skills necessary to
to set up (host), maintain, and customize whatever project-wide
translation tool we pick to replace Kartouche; and would be able
to improve the existing tools within Koha for creating .po files,
as well as make suggestions for how to improve transaltion of
areas not currently covered by that tool (MARC Frameworks for
instance).

Such a candidate should also be able to manage the process of
pushing translations upstream to the RM using Git, and providing
the RM with access to patches that can't be transmitted easily
via email due to length or encoding.

As as side note, LibLime will continue to host the Kartouche
installation at http://translate.koha.org until another
tool is available, and we're happy to coordinate changing
the DNS when such a tool is available.

Any takers?

--
Joshua Ferraro SUPPORT FOR OPEN-SOURCE SOFTWARE
CEO migration, training, maintenance, support