[Koha-devel] On the way to the Debian package

Vincent Danjean vdanjean.ml at free.fr
Fri Aug 15 23:57:30 CEST 2008

  Hi,

  I think all Koha dependencies are in Debian now (until you add new ones ;-) ).
So I started to work on koha packaging itself.

My work can be see here:
http://git.debian.org/?p=collab-maint/koha.git;a=summary
(more exactly here:
http://git.debian.org/?p=collab-maint/koha.git;a=shortlog;h=refs/heads/wip
)

For now, I work on the 'wip' branch that have frequent rebase. So, do not
merge this branch with any other work please.

On the way to create the package, I find several things that I would like
to see upstream (instead of a diff for the Debian package). This is:
- support for DESTDIR at install time
- support for the absence of the koha user and group at install time
- fix permissions and shebang line when needed
- strange file to remove
In fact, these are all my changeset but the last (which has debian work
in progress, not ready to be commited upstream)

  So, can you review these changesets and apply them (or something similar)
or tell me what is wrong with them ?

Another problem of the current code is that all manpages generated from
koha perl modules are invalid. They are missing the required head lines.
I put in http://www-id.imag.fr/~danjean/lintian.txt the warnings of
the lintian tool (automatic debian tool to check package quality).
  Do you think it is better to fix these doc (ie adding the few lines
in each file) or to remove this doc from the Debian package ?
  I think that fixing is better, but it cannot be done automatically:
a 'brief description' is needed so it must be filled by people
knowing the modules.

  Next, I would like to talk about koha-tmpl/*-tmpl/prog/"lg-LG" directories.
I see two things:
- there are lots of duplicated files and directories. In the Debian packaging,
  I'm trying to add a 'common' directory and add symlink from the lang
  directories. This cannot be done in the upstream git repo as some plateform
  does not support symlinks. But, if files are really similar (for example
  all libs/ and js/ directories in koha-tmpl/intranet-tmpl/prog/*), they
  can be moved elsewhere (a common place) and reference in other files
  could be adjusted ?
- koha-tmpl/*-tmpl/prog/"lg-LG"/{lib,js} contains version of other softwares
  already packaged by debian (such as libjs-jquery or tinymce2 for example).
  The final debian package will need to use these packages and not duplicate
  the code by embeding another version. So, I would like to know
  * if these codes of other applications have been modified (I hope not)
  * where they are called from (so that I can change to call debian package codes)

It all for now. I will come back soon with questions about the configuration :-)

  Best regards,
    Vincent

PS: I do not fully follow Koha ML. I mostly read messages with 'debian' in the
subject, so please try to keep this word in the subject when you want to talk
with me.
--
Vincent Danjean                 Adresse: Laboratoire d'Informatique de Grenoble
Téléphone:  +33 4 76 61 20 11            ENSIMAG - antenne de Montbonnot