[Koha-devel] On the way to the Debian package

Galen Charlton galen.charlton at liblime.com
Wed Aug 20 01:26:40 CEST 2008

Hi,

On Fri, Aug 15, 2008 at 4:57 PM, Vincent Danjean <vdanjean.ml at free.fr> wrote:
> On the way to create the package, I find several things that I would like
> to see upstream (instead of a diff for the Debian package). This is:
>  So, can you review these changesets and apply them (or something similar)
> or tell me what is wrong with them ?

I will apply most of these to the Koha 3.1/3.2 HEAD tomorrow.  It may
take a bit longer for them to reach the 3.0 maintenance branch.  Note
that the big permissions patch will not apply as is, since the
translated templates are not stored in the git tree but are generated
during packaging, but I'll add a substitute.

> Another problem of the current code is that all manpages generated from
> koha perl modules are invalid. They are missing the required head lines.
> I put in http://www-id.imag.fr/~danjean/lintian.txt the warnings of
> the lintian tool (automatic debian tool to check package quality).
>  Do you think it is better to fix these doc (ie adding the few lines
> in each file) or to remove this doc from the Debian package ?
>  I think that fixing is better, but it cannot be done automatically:
> a 'brief description' is needed so it must be filled by people
> knowing the modules.

Fixing the POD is better.

>  Next, I would like to talk about koha-tmpl/*-tmpl/prog/"lg-LG" directories.
> I see two things:
> - there are lots of duplicated files and directories. In the Debian packaging,
>  I'm trying to add a 'common' directory and add symlink from the lang
>  directories. This cannot be done in the upstream git repo as some plateform
>  does not support symlinks. But, if files are really similar (for example
>  all libs/ and js/ directories in koha-tmpl/intranet-tmpl/prog/*), they
>  can be moved elsewhere (a common place) and reference in other files
>  could be adjusted ?

This is a good idea, but might take a while to be implemented.

> - koha-tmpl/*-tmpl/prog/"lg-LG"/{lib,js} contains version of other softwares
>  already packaged by debian (such as libjs-jquery or tinymce2 for example).
>  The final debian package will need to use these packages and not duplicate
>  the code by embeding another version. So, I would like to know
>  * if these codes of other applications have been modified (I hope not)

I'm reasonably sure that we're using stock JQuery, TinyMCE, and YUI.
I'm less sure about the JQuery plugins, but I don't see that any of
them are currently packaged.

>  * where they are called from (so that I can change to call debian package codes)

They're generally invoked via the templates, in lines such as

<script type="text/javascript" src="<!-- TMPL_VAR name="themelang"
-->/lib/greybox/AJS.js"></script>

with the exception of YUI:

<script type="text/javascript" src="<!-- TMPL_VAR NAME="yuipath"
-->/menu/menu-min.js"></script>

The themelang and yuipath template variables are ultimately set in the
call to C4::Output::gettemplate().

The problem is that a *lot* of the HTML templates invoke JavaScript
libraries in that fashion, so if the packaging rules allowing setting
up symlinks to the canonical locations of the libraries, that may be
simplest.

Galen
--
Galen Charlton