[Koha-devel] Why contribute to Koha?

Chris Cormack chris at bigballofwax.co.nz
Tue Dec 2 18:51:37 CET 2008

On Wed, Dec 3, 2008 at 6:43 AM, Baytiyeh, Hoda <hodabn at utk.edu> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am a Ph.D. candidate in Instructional Technology at the University of
> Tennessee. My dissertation focuses on what motivates people to contribute to
> F/OSS projects. Though it may seem obvious to you, many non-programmers are
> still suspicious of OSS and think there must be a catch. Can you help me to
> demonstrate why talented programmers are willing to work for free? My survey
> should take no more than 15 minutes and asks for no identifying information.

Ahh see theres the ticket. The vast majority of programmers who work
on Koha aren't working for free.
I worked on Koha for 9 years as my job. All the programmers at
Biblibre, or Liblime get paid also.
Sure we do some non paid work too, and some people don't get paid
anything, but the majority are.
But you have just explained why people are suspicious right there,
there is a general misunderstanding that F/OSS means uncommercial.

IBM pays people to work on the Linux kernel, Redhat pays its staff,...
F/OSS does not stop people being paid for their work. What it does do
is allow people to choose who they pay, or indeed to make changes
themselves.
In fact, with F/OSS its more likely people get paid to programme and
less people get paid to resell that programming effort again and again
and again and again.

Chris