[Koha-devel] State of the debian packaging

Vincent Danjean vdanjean.ml at free.fr
Sun Dec 7 09:33:22 CET 2008

I forgot the CC

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Re: [Koha-devel] [Koha] Wrong SAX Parser - does it matter? -> impact on Debian packaging
Date: Sun, 07 Dec 2008 09:31:03 +0100
From: Vincent Danjean <vdanjean.ml at free.fr>
To: Chris Cormack <chris at bigballofwax.co.nz>

Chris Cormack wrote:
> Hi Vincent
>
> Is the below issue still a problem?

This issue is still problematic (ie I do not know the answer and a good
packaging cannot modify a (not owned) global configuration file)

Other problem I got are config files in general. The same config file
is used by several packages so I must design config and postconf script
to deal with this.

You can see my current state here :
http://git.debian.org/?p=collab-maint/koha.git;a=shortlog;h=refs/heads/wip
(not in a usable state as I just started to rewrite the management of
conffig file....)

If you have some remarks about the packaging splitting, I would be glad
to get some feedback.
http://git.debian.org/?p=collab-maint/koha.git;a=blob;f=debian/control;hb=wip

> I was wondering what I could do to
> help you finish the packaging.
> I work with a couple of Debian Developers and Francois was telling me
> on friday that if we get the packaging finished soon, that although we
> have missed lenny, if its done before january we might get it into the
> next ubuntu release.
>
> If you havent had an answer on the below question let me know and I'll
> go find the answer for you

Ok, if you can test if koha works with current expat parser, it will help.
I you kwow koha, telling me which config file is needed by which program would
also be a good thing. The idea is to be able to answer to the question:

Which config file (and which values will be read in it) do I need on each
machine A, B and C if I want to setup:
- koha opac and intranet on machine A
- zebra server on machine B
- pazpar2 server on machine C
And which crontab/script do I need to run on each of these machines.

  I CC koha-devel in case someone else can answer these questions.

  Best regards and thanks for for help
    Vincent

> CHris
>
> On Sat, Nov 15, 2008 at 9:13 AM, Vincent Danjean <vdanjean.ml at free.fr> wrote:
>> [moving from koha to koha-devel due to my questions]
>>
>> Mason James wrote:
>> What I do not understand is why koha is requiring to modify such
>> a global configuration file.
>>
>> Is this setup really still required ? Were not the bugs from the
>> expat filter fixed ? I do not know at all why this parser is/was needed,
>> but Expact seems to work for the test case in koha scripts :
>> vdanjean koha/misc$ ./sax_parser_print.pl
>> XML::SAX::Expat=HASH(0x115c4f0)
>> vdanjean koha/misc$ ./sax_parser_test.pl
>> vdanjean koha/misc
>> )
>>
>> By the way, this kind of requirement is really a bad thing (with my
>> hat of trying to make a official Debian package) => it will be NOT
>> possible at all that the koha package modifies the global configuration
>> file.
>> However, I really do not understand why, if the SAX parser is really
>> needed, it is not required in the koha code itself.
>>
>> For example, I tried to add as the first line in sax_parser_print.pl
>> and sax_parser_test.pl the line:
>> $XML::SAX::ParserPackage = "XML::LibXML::SAX";
>> (tip found in the doc of XML::SAX::ParserFactory)
>> Without changing my global configuration file, sax_parser_print.pl
>> now report XML::LibXML::SAX.
>>
>> I failed to see where koha really instantiate a sax parser.
>> 'rgrep "use XML::SAX" koha/' does not return anything (but
>> sax_parser_print.pl and sax_parser_test.pl).
>>
>> Perhaps, koha gurus can know where SAX parser are used and add
>> the line requesting the particular parser if it is still needed ?
>>
>>  Regards,
>>    Vincent
>>
>> --
>> Vincent Danjean       GPG key ID 0x9D025E87         vdanjean at debian.org
>> GPG key fingerprint: FC95 08A6 854D DB48 4B9A  8A94 0BF7 7867 9D02 5E87
>> Unofficial pacakges: http://www-id.imag.fr/~danjean/deb.html#package
>> APT repo:  deb http://perso.debian.org/~vdanjean/debian unstable main

Vincent Danjean                 Adresse: Laboratoire d'Informatique de Grenoble
Téléphone:  +33 4 76 61 20 11            ENSIMAG - antenne de Montbonnot
Fax:        +33 4 76 61 20 99            ZIRST 51, avenue Jean Kuntzmann
Email: Vincent.Danjean at imag.fr           38330 Montbonnot Saint Martin