[Koha-devel] Koha Codebase Size?

Joe Atzberger ohiocore at gmail.com
Mon Dec 29 18:39:57 CET 2008

On Mon, Dec 29, 2008 at 11:50 AM, Stan Brinkerhoff <koha at vtwireless.com>wrote:

> All,
>
> Has there been any discussion about trimming down the size of the Koha
> distribution?  The issue it seems isn't the code; but rather items such as
> TinyMCE being copied into every template directory, and the /misc/ folder is
> rather huge.  It seems as though the 47mb tar file could easily be 20-30mb.
>
> Stan

Stan --

Yes, it has been discussed with some similar sentiments.

Abstractly speaking, the codebase should be as small as possible and as
large as necessary.  There are unnecessary (and unhelpful) duplications in
many places, in particular due to the OPAC/STAFF split.  It would be very
helpful to have a "common" directory accessible to both interfaces via
Apache aliases.  The installer would have to be modified, and how to upgrade
existing installations would have to be solved...  but icon images and js
libraries would be the first candidates for migration.

The misc folder is only large because it contains all the .po translation
files.  Those are going to be large regardless, and they have to go
somewhere.  I suppose they only get used occasionally, so we might move to a
situation where they are kept in compressed form and only extracted if/when
needed (at the cost of CPU time).

I'm all for consolidation where it makes the code less duplicative and more
maintainable. But if the motivation is just to "save" 20 MB, I might still
be for it, but not really inspired.  20 MB of disk is a lot cheaper than
developer time.

--Joe