[Koha-devel] Koha Codebase Size?

Rick Welykochy rick at praxis.com.au
Mon Dec 29 23:08:48 CET 2008

Joe Atzberger wrote:

> I'm all for consolidation where it makes the code less duplicative and
> more maintainable. But if the motivation is just to "save" 20 MB, I
> might still be for it, but not really inspired.  20 MB of disk is a lot
> cheaper than developer time.

You are speaking of compressed size.

When I explode a K3 tarball, it gobbles up over 500 MB of disk. That
is not trivial anymore, esp. when deploying many Koha instances on
one server one a single disk.

One suggestion: after exploding and configuring, but before installation,
a script is run that trims the source tree removing cruft such as 1500 other
language files that are not applicatable to the installation.

The completed Koha installation could prolly be trimmmed to under 20 MB imho.

cheers
rickw