[Koha-devel] Zebra fails to bind two sockets

Chadwick, John, DCA john.chadwick at state.nm.us
Wed Feb 13 16:32:46 CET 2008

We have had this problem with Koha 3 on Ubuntu. After doing a great deal
of research, it seems that Ubuntu (and probably other OS systems) treat
directories in /var/run and /var/lock as temp directories and each time
the machine reboots, the directories disappear on us.

Here is my script that I run, feel free to modify it for your
installation. I can get it to run from a command line, and it works
perfectly, but I have had problems running it as a cron job at startup.

!/bin/sh

sleep 20

cd /var/run
mkdir koha
chown koha koha
chgrp koha koha
cd /var/run/koha
mkdir zebradb
chown koha zebradb
chgrp koha zebradb
chmod 777 zebradb

sleep 2

cd /var/lock
mkdir koha
chown koha koha
chgrp koha koha
cd /var/lock/koha
mkdir zebradb
chown koha zebradb
chown koha zebradb
cd /var/lock/koha/zebradb
mkdir biblios
chown koha biblios
chgrp koha biblios
chmod 777 biblios
mkdir authorities
chown koha authorities
chgrp koha authorities
chmod 777 authorities

sleep 2

/usr/share/koha/bin/koha-zebra-ctl.sh stop
/usr/share/koha/bin/koha-zebraqueue-ctl.sh stop
/usr/share/koha/bin/koha-zebra-ctl.sh start
/usr/share/koha/bin/koha-zebraqueue-ctl.sh start

John Chadwick, Ed.D.
Information Technology Manager
New Mexico State Library
1209 Camino Carlos Rey