[Koha-devel] Zebra fails to bind two sockets

Galen Charlton galen.charlton at liblime.com
Wed Feb 13 18:52:51 CET 2008

Hi,

On 2/13/08, Chadwick, John, DCA <john.chadwick at state.nm.us> wrote:
> We have had this problem with Koha 3 on Ubuntu. After doing a great deal
> of research, it seems that Ubuntu (and probably other OS systems) treat
> directories in /var/run and /var/lock as temp directories and each time
> the machine reboots, the directories disappear on us.

Yes, as I just found on closer inspection of the FHS documentation
[1], files in /var/run are supposed to be deleted or truncated at
boot.  Debian Etch clears files but leaves the subdirectories in
place, but Ubuntu and other systems that either mount /var/run as a
tempfs or are are aggressive about clearing /var/run get rid of the
subdirectories at boot.

Consequently, I will patch koha-zebra-ctl.sh to create the
subdirectories under /var/run if needed.

[1] http://www.pathname.com/fhs/pub/fhs-2.3.html#VARRUNRUNTIMEVARIABLEDATA

Regards,

Galen
--