[Koha-devel] new sysprefs

Joshua Ferraro jmf at liblime.com
Wed Feb 20 02:25:26 CET 2008

On 2/19/08, Galen Charlton <galen.charlton at liblime.com> wrote:
> To summarize, the following sysprefs are not used by active code:
>
> WebBasedSelfCheck
This should be used to enable/disable the sco/ code in the OPAC, many libraries
would view this as a security risk if it were available by default.

> noOPACHolds
This was designed to remove all of the 'place hold' links in the OPAC, there is
working code in dev_week and/or 2.2.9 for this and it needs to be
forward-ported,
or another solution to accommodate that preference needs to be created.

> emailLibrarianWhenHoldIsPlaced
There is working code in dev_week (I believe) that utilizes this, it's in use by
several libraries and should be retained in 3.0.

> holdCancelLength
This should be added to the holds matrix when that appears.

> libraryAddress
I'm not sure why we would need this one, seems like the library address info
is available from the branches table.

> globalDueDate
Some koha libraries running 2.2.9 use this to set the due date globally for all
materials and patrons, it should be retained in 3.0.

> itemBarcodeInputFilter
This was utilized in 2.2.9 and is used by libraries running Koha,  perhaps Ryan
can clarify exactly it's nature ... I'm assuming it should be retained
for 3.0 as well.

> singleBranchMode
Single Branch Mode is used in 2.2.9 to allow a library to instantly remove all
branch choices from searching, holds, etc., since those dropdowns don't make
any sense in a library with only one branch. It should definitely be
retained for
3.0.

> URLLinkText
This was used in 2.2.9/dev_week to allow someone to fill in text for every URL
that displays in the catalog, generated from a 856 tag. it's used in
current Koha
systems and should be retained in 3.0, or a better alternative offered.

> noOPACUserLogin
This disables the OPAC user login and is in active use by koha libraries, should
be retained for 3.0.

> OPACDisplayExtendedSubInfo
This syspref is used for controlling how subscriptsion display in the OPAC, Ryan
can expand on the details, but it should either be retained as is, or
replaced with
something more flexible w/respect to display of subscription information.

> OPACViewOthersSuggestions
This is a syspref used to enable/disable patrons from seeing
suggestions from other
patrons, some libraries want patrons to see all suggestions added,
others only want
the patron's own suggestions to be visible.

> OPACURLOpenInNewWindow
This controlled whether the 856 links should open in the same window or in a new
window in the browser.

> OPACUserCSS
This syspref allowed a koha sysadmin to add a block of CSS that would
be embedded
on the OPAC page, which would allow them to take advantage of the cascading
effect and override previous CSS settings. It should definitely be
retained for 3.0.

> emailPurchaseSuggestions
This is similar to the 'emailLibrarianWhenHoldIsPlaced' syspref, for
when someone
makes a purchase suggestion, it will email the librarian.

> I plan to make a patch later this week to remove these sysprefs.
> Please let me know if any of these are in fact in use, represent
> pre-2.2.9 features that ought to be ported to 3.0, represent a feature
> that someone is willing to code and submit a patch for relatively
> soon, or are in use by an existing contrib.  If there are any other
> dead sysprefs that should be removed, please post those as well.
In short, most of the sysprefs represent features that should be forward-ported
to 3.0, or we'll have some unhappy Koha users :-). Generally speaking, most of
them require quite trivial additions; some could definitely be re-factored to
be more generally useful.

My two cents.

Cheers,

CEO                         migration, training, maintenance, support