[Koha-devel] Call number handling in 3.0

Owen Leonard oleonard at myacpl.org
Tue Feb 26 14:41:08 CET 2008

> Shelf browse
> lists, etc., are generated from the item-level itemcallnumber, which
> should always be populated for every item.

This is not the case in the sample data I have. This is sure to cause
confusion for beta-testers.

> dewey and classification no longer exist and should be replaced at the
> bib level with a concatenation of cn_item . cn_item . cn_suffix and at
> the item level with itemcallnumber.

How to handle this on the OPAC search results screen? If I replace
'classification' with 'itemcallnumber' I get a concatenation of call
numbers for that record's items:

 PZ7.S2744 Bi | PZ7.S2744 Bi | PZ7.S2744 Bi

Unfortunately, this is also wrapped in a call number search link:

opac-search.pl?q=callnum:PZ7.S2744%20Bi%20%7C%20PZ7.S2744%20Bi%20%7C%20PZ7.S2744%20Bi

In this case should we be displaying cn_item . cn_item . cn_suffix? Without
additional context for those three identical call numbers, it's pretty
nonsensical. The alternative is to switch to the more verbose style of the
staff client's search results.

  -- Owen

--
Web Developer