[Koha-devel] Call number handling in 3.0

Ryan Higgins ryan.higgins at liblime.com
Tue Feb 26 22:15:08 CET 2008

For search results, I suggest a list of libraries with holdings, and hidden
divs that list the call numbers and item availability for a given library.
If 'SearchMyLibraryFirst' or independentBranches is ON , then the user's
home library's specific holdings  are shown by default, and you click other
library names to display the holdings for that library.  Otherwise, the
library name is followed by a parenthetical summary, e.g.
LibraryName (2/5 available).

Ryan

On 2/26/08, Owen Leonard <oleonard at myacpl.org> wrote:

> > Shelf browse
> > lists, etc., are generated from the item-level itemcallnumber, which
> > should always be populated for every item.
>

> This is not the case in the sample data I have. This is sure to cause
> confusion for beta-testers.
>

> > dewey and classification no longer exist and should be replaced at the
> > bib level with a concatenation of cn_item . cn_item . cn_suffix and at
> > the item level with itemcallnumber.
>

> How to handle this on the OPAC search results screen? If I replace
> 'classification' with 'itemcallnumber' I get a concatenation of call
> numbers for that record's items:
>
>   PZ7.S2744 Bi | PZ7.S2744 Bi | PZ7.S2744 Bi
>
> Unfortunately, this is also wrapped in a call number search link:
>
> opac-search.pl?q=callnum:
> PZ7.S2744%20Bi%20%7C%20PZ7.S2744%20Bi%20%7C%20PZ7.S2744%20Bi
>
> In this case should we be displaying cn_item . cn_item . cn_suffix?
> Without
> additional context for those three identical call numbers, it's pretty
> nonsensical. The alternative is to switch to the more verbose style of the
> staff client's search results.
>

>   -- Owen
>
> --
> Web Developer
> Athens County Public Libraries
> http://www.myacpl.org

Ryan Higgins

LibLime  *  Open-Source Solutions for Libraries
Featuring KohaZOOM ILS
888-564-2457  x704