[Koha-devel] Prepackaged perl distro

Rick Welykochy rick at praxis.com.au
Fri Jul 18 19:47:52 CEST 2008

MJ Ray wrote:

> Yes, and there are several ways to do it, including ones that I think
> are called PAR and PPM, but they should be able to build on the work
> we've done with Makefile.PL and they really need to be built on a
> stable release.

I will investigate PAR and PPM, whatever they are.
I have looked at Bundle and it looks pretty brain dead IMHO.

> However, some of the modules involve compiled code will be different
> on each binary platform.  Also, some systems (debian, Fedora,
> Strawberry Perl, more?) have their own ways of bundling modules
> together which avoids having multiple maybe-incompatible versions on
> the system at the same time.  Hopefully they can build on Makefile.PL
> too and we don't have to keep updating INSTALL.debian, INSTALL.fedora
> and so on forever: those files mostly suck time and should slowly die.

One solution is to use a different location for the set of Perl
modules used by Koha. This avoids any entanglements with existing
Perl installations on the box. It is a very clean soln :)

cheers
rickw