[Koha-devel] Prepackaged perl distro

MJ Ray mjr at phonecoop.coop
Fri Jul 18 15:52:42 CEST 2008

Rick Welykochy <rick at praxis.com.au> wrote: [...]
> We cobbled together perl + all perl modules required.
>
> The virtual builder then simply installed perl and all the
> perl modules we required.
>
> No CPAN. No failed makes. No mismatches.
>
> Can't the same be done for Koha?

Yes, and there are several ways to do it, including ones that I think
are called PAR and PPM, but they should be able to build on the work
we've done with Makefile.PL and they really need to be built on a
stable release.

However, some of the modules involve compiled code will be different
on each binary platform.  Also, some systems (debian, Fedora,
Strawberry Perl, more?) have their own ways of bundling modules
together which avoids having multiple maybe-incompatible versions on
the system at the same time.  Hopefully they can build on Makefile.PL
too and we don't have to keep updating INSTALL.debian, INSTALL.fedora
and so on forever: those files mostly suck time and should slowly die.

Regards,
--
MJ Ray (slef)