[Koha-devel] 3.0 stable & improvements (for comments)

MJ Ray mjr at phonecoop.coop
Fri Jul 25 13:18:53 CEST 2008

Paul POULAIN <paul.poulain at free.fr> wrote:
> http://git.koha.org/cgi-bin/gitweb.cgi?p=Koha;a=commit;h=64ba3ffe8309da1e109bbbae49b6c567b6f9d49f
>
> The commit notes write :
> > Refine "Patrons statistics" report, fix highlight, remove CGI::scrolling_lists.
> >
> > At client request, I added code for a rowtitle_display and coltitle_display.  This
> > allows the script to substitute human-readable lables into the table instead of just
> > the literal hashkeys.  For this client with dozens of numerical patron categorycodes
> > having a row titled "29" was not very useful.
[...]
> once 3.0 is released, how will we deal with those cases ?

We should split the patch.  The bugfix goes into 3.0, the rest into 3.1.
Every change during a stable release has two risks: first, that a
change gets omitted from 3.1; second, that it introduces an unforseen
bug.  That risk only seems worth it if it's fixing some other bug.

[...]
> Another solution would be to have an official trunk & local versions for
> local clients. if I don't mind, LL don't want to do this, and BibLibre
> either.

I don't think software.coop can work without local trees. patches at koha
just isn't processed quickly enough to react to customer requests. The
process on one recent patch (BUGFIX opac-serial-issues.pl template)
has been: email, wait, check the HEAD, check the list archive, wait,
ask kados on IRC if he ever got the patch, ask if he wants
resubmission, no answer... I need to check whether it's in yet, but
our clients would be screaming if we didn't have our local trees.

Regards,
--
MJ Ray (slef)