[Koha-devel] Koha Plone Contest

Roberto Allende rover at menttes.com
Tue Jul 29 00:49:24 CEST 2008

Joshua Ferraro escribió:
> The bottom line is that the core Koha development community expressed
> dissatisfaction with all of the submitted designs, and we didn't plan for
> a scenerio where no-one liked any of them; for that reason, I hesitated to
> publish the results of our voting process.
>
> We're still planning to proceed with Plone, but we've had other priorities
> (like the release of Koha 3.0) that have prevented us from focusing our
> attention on what to do with the koha.org Plone migration.
>
> Some have suggested we switch to Plone and just use the standard Plone
> template; others have suggested we pick one of the submitted designs
> even though we didn't like them, just to move things forward; others have
> suggested we run another contest or perhaps just select someone to pay
> to design a koha.org site that the community is happy with. So there are
> lots of ideas, but I think most of us have been too busy to execute them.
>
>  So Koha community, how shall we proceed?
>
> Cheers,

As a person who invested time in the contest i'd like to add my points
of view.

It would be great if what the participants did solve the problem and
that's our philosophy every time we start a project. BUT in this case
you should divide the issues. From my point of view there are two sides:

1. The contest
Here you announced a contest, deadlines to meet, an award to be given to
the winner. Basically you assumed a commitment, besides the community
likes or not the work done you should close the contest, to announce who
the winner is, give the award to him/her.

2. The Koha website
Since i'm not contributor of Koha i don't feel i'm the right person to
tell what to do, but definitely you shouldn't mix this problem with the
contest. If you were a customer i would tell you before call the Plone
developers, call an artist or make a mockup and agree about it. I think
this is the first thing to do, who you do this will depend of how your
community works, resources you have, etc. If you believe i can be of any
help here, don't hesitate to ask but that will be something i'll do in
person. In the contest i involved a team and the answer you're giving to
me is not acceptable for the team.

Kind Regards
r.

--