[Koha-devel] patches & bugs.koha.org

Galen Charlton galen.charlton at liblime.com
Wed Jul 30 15:11:56 CEST 2008

Hi

On Wed, Jul 30, 2008 at 7:03 AM, Paul POULAIN <paul.poulain at free.fr> wrote:
> For at least 2 reasons :
> - it is an obviously "long" process to add a bug. If we have found a
> small & quickly fixed bug, then there is no need to add a bug imo.

Small bug = quick description, therefore less time to enter a bug. :)
For things like typo corrections, we don't necessarily need to file a
new bug for each one, but even just having a standing typo bug would
be useful: translators could watch for that bug number.

> Having a complete patch comment is necessary for the ppl
> reviewing/validating the patch. But the need of a bug.koha.org is
> unclear to me (the PATCH-sent thing is not enough imo)

Sometimes a patch description isn't enough - for a complex bug that
has taken a lot of time and conversation to isolate, having the full
history of the bug be available would be immensely useful.

> - we (BibLibre) have a specific internal (& french) tool for our
> customer requests. When we fix a bug discovered by a client, frankly,
> it's a loss of time to translate it to english & rewrite it to bugs.koha.org

But we don't get the benefit of your wisdom if the bug description and
history is locked away in your internal bugs database. :)  LibLime
also has an internal bugs database, but that's mostly for truly
internal stuff; for anything that we submit patches for, we have a
goal of making sure that a good bug description is entered in the
public Bugzilla.

I recognize that you have pressures on your time.  I don't think you
necessarily need to spend time translating your bug descriptions by
hand; quick machine translations would be sufficient.

Regards,

Galen
--
Galen Charlton