[Koha-devel] patches & bugs.koha.org

MJ Ray mjr at phonecoop.coop
Thu Jul 31 16:06:54 CEST 2008

Paul POULAIN <paul.poulain at free.fr> wrote:
> I see a change in the wiki : [...]

Yeah, please can people discuss such policy changes on -devel first?
Or at least tell us.  I read http://owu.towers.org.uk/planets/koha/
most days, but not everyone does.  What's the point of changing policy
silently?  It's not going to change how we work and you'll get
deservedly flamed if you try to slap us for breaking a secret policy.

> I fully agree with the idea of pointing the bug if there is one. But I
> strongly disagree about adding a bug if there is none.
> For at least 2 reasons :
> - it is an obviously "long" process to add a bug. If we have found a
> small & quickly fixed bug, then there is no need to add a bug imo.
> Having a complete patch comment is necessary for the ppl
> reviewing/validating the patch. But the need of a bug.koha.org is
> unclear to me (the PATCH-sent thing is not enough imo)
> - we (BibLibre) have a specific internal (& french) tool for our
> customer requests. When we fix a bug discovered by a client, frankly,
> it's a loss of time to translate it to english & rewrite it to bugs.koha.org

I think there SHOULD be a bug for every patch.  However, there should
be some tool trying to update bugs automatically on patch-mail and
head commit (maybe from /bug\s+(\d+)/ on the commit message).

TTLLP also has an internal work tracker (RT), but we can link from the
"Refers to" field to bugs.koha.org - I'm trying to be better at doing
that for all our koha bugs as soon as we're reasonably confident it's
not a local configuration error.  The flames from LibLimeys if I patch
a bug they've not experienced yet are *not* encouraging this
(TMPL_ELSIF MacOS X 10.5 unpredictability/unportability most recently)
so I can understand why BibLibre feel it's too expensive.

"Galen Charlton" <galen.charlton at liblime.com> wrote:
> I recognize that you have pressures on your time.  I don't think you
> necessarily need to spend time translating your bug descriptions by
> hand; quick machine translations would be sufficient.

Please let BibLibre forward bug reports in French and let's add
babelfish links to the bug display page header or footer.

"Andrew Moore" <andrew.moore at liblime.com> wrote:
> I wrote that there after a brief discussion with some other
> contributors.

Who, JOOI?  It's not showing up in IRC logs.

[...]
> It does sometimes seem like a long process, especially compared to a
> small patch. Could we make it easier by making bugzilla accept entries
> via email?
> <http://wiki.mozilla.org/Bugzilla:FAQ:Bugzilla_Email#How_do_I_set_up_the_email_interface_to_submit.2Fchange_bugs_via_email.3F>

Yes, please!  I learned about this a few days ago and was going to ask
if we can do it here.  It would make life much easier.

Can we also allow koha users to submit new bugs by email without
getting spammed to hell?  It would help to make the bugs data more
accurate and representative.

Thanks,
--
MJ Ray (slef)