[Koha-devel] patches & bugs.koha.org

MJ Ray mjr at phonecoop.coop
Thu Jul 31 19:25:50 CEST 2008

"Galen Charlton" <galen.charlton at liblime.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 31, 2008 at 9:06 AM, MJ Ray <mjr at phonecoop.coop> wrote:
> > not a local configuration error.  The flames from LibLimeys if I patch
> > a bug they've not experienced yet are *not* encouraging this
> > (TMPL_ELSIF MacOS X 10.5 unpredictability/unportability most recently)
> > so I can understand why BibLibre feel it's too expensive.
>
> Flames?  This is a strong accusation.  TMPL_ELSIF is a useful
> construct, and if there is a portability problem on one platform, it
> is better to at least try fix the root cause.

It's not a strong accusation.  It's a feeling.  Don't make a drama
out of a crisis only just noticed, like the adverts used to say.

The portability problem is that it only works with HTML::Template::Pro
so far, which is fine if Koha is the only thing someone is templating
with that syntax.  Otherwise it's just confusing and limits what tools
can be used and what can be shared.  ELSIF doesn't seem much more
useful as a construct than an IF inside an ELSE.  It's not like adding
hygenic macros or something.

> As I recall, Joe, one
> of the "LibLimeys", spent a great deal of time working with you on
> #koha to debug the issue.

Sure, the IRC discussion has been much better than the email one,
which is different to what happens in other projects.  I thank Joe for
his time, but he did keep blaming HTML::Template::Expr which, it turns
out, was a wild goose chase.  See
http://koha.org/cgi-bin/logs.pl?startdate=2008072908%3A59%3A23&enddate=2008072911%3A04%3A27&search=Search

(I get the impression from the "scare quotes" above that "LibLimeys"
isn't liked - what is?  I've used BibLibrians and Turuloj without
complaint in the past, but LibLimers sounded to me like people who'd
smear stuff with limes...)

> Do you seriously consider this to be
> evidence of a LibLime effort to flame you, or are you objecting to any
> criticism whatsoever of your patches?

I don't mind being challenged, but calling everything from module
version to the OS installation (which was done by another company, for
what it's worth) into question in response to a bugfix patch seems
inappropriate criticism, bordering on blind defence of a feature which
doesn't work for everyone at times.
http://lists.koha.org/pipermail/koha-patches/2008-July/001325.html

> Regarding your implication that BibLibre is being put off by LibLime's
> "flames", are you claiming to speak for them?

No, I'm just noting I can understand why they might consider
interacting with koha.org too expensive, because of things like that,
or this subthread where I'm being interrogated in detail over a simple
comment.  It really doesn't help to get more bugs linked across or
more TTLLP members active on koha-devel.  It's more duty than fun most
of the time.

As part of any code of conduct, I'd suggest not sending the above sort
of personal messages ("you... you... you...") to this list.

Hope that explains,
--
MJ Ray (slef)