[Koha-devel] patches & bugs.koha.org

Galen Charlton galen.charlton at liblime.com
Thu Jul 31 16:45:32 CEST 2008

Hi,

On Thu, Jul 31, 2008 at 9:06 AM, MJ Ray <mjr at phonecoop.coop> wrote:
> I think there SHOULD be a bug for every patch.  However, there should

Obviously, we cannot mandate that every patch have a bug number, and
I'm not going to use that as a criteria for rejecting patches for 3.2.
 However, this needs to be encouraged.

> be some tool trying to update bugs automatically on patch-mail and
> head commit (maybe from /bug\s+(\d+)/ on the commit message).

Making some tool to automatically tie patch submissions to bug updates
is a good idea.

> TTLLP also has an internal work tracker (RT), but we can link from the
> "Refers to" field to bugs.koha.org - I'm trying to be better at doing
> that for all our koha bugs as soon as we're reasonably confident it's

Thanks.

> not a local configuration error.  The flames from LibLimeys if I patch
> a bug they've not experienced yet are *not* encouraging this
> (TMPL_ELSIF MacOS X 10.5 unpredictability/unportability most recently)
> so I can understand why BibLibre feel it's too expensive.

Flames?  This is a strong accusation.  TMPL_ELSIF is a useful
construct, and if there is a portability problem on one platform, it
is better to at least try fix the root cause.  As I recall, Joe, one
of the "LibLimeys", spent a great deal of time working with you on
#koha to debug the issue.  Do you seriously consider this to be
evidence of a LibLime effort to flame you, or are you objecting to any
criticism whatsoever of your patches?

No patch should be above constructive criticism, including any that
LibLime submits.

Regarding your implication that BibLibre is being put off by LibLime's
"flames", are you claiming to speak for them?  I'm sure Paul can speak
for himself.

> "Galen Charlton" <galen.charlton at liblime.com> wrote:
>> I recognize that you have pressures on your time.  I don't think you
>> necessarily need to spend time translating your bug descriptions by
>> hand; quick machine translations would be sufficient.
>
> Please let BibLibre forward bug reports in French and let's add
> babelfish links to the bug display page header or footer.

Again, I assume Paul can speak for himself.  If some bugs get entered
in French or any other non-English language, so be it: we all have
access to online translators.  However, I would still encourage most
bugs to be submitted in English; not only does this improve the
ability for everybody to search to bug database, for better or worse,
English is the only language that contributors to core Koha have in
common.

Regards,

Galen
--