[Koha-devel] RFC: plan to reorganize cronjobs for overdues, notices, and fines

Andrew Moore andrew.moore at liblime.com
Thu Jun 5 14:31:29 CEST 2008

Hi MJ -

On Thu, Jun 5, 2008 at 7:06 AM, MJ Ray <mjr at phonecoop.coop> wrote:
> Can we merge them further?  Firstly, there's the similarilty between
> the two notices that Henri notied.  Secondly, it would be good to have
> the option of only fining patrons if we've successfully sent a notice
> (successful as far as reaching our outgoing mailserver, anyway).

I would like to be able to as well. I don't yet have a model for that
in my mind, though. I thought that cleaning all of this up in the
brief time before next Monday's deadline was aggressive, so I'm not
sure if I can make that much of a change before then. I'll see how I
do, or if anyone else gets some time to lend a hand.

> Thirdly, the fewer cronjobs the better!  They are one of the main
> stumbling blocks for new sysadmins installing koha, in my experience.

I agree wholeheartedly. Some applications use a single cronjob that
delegates tasks to different scripts depending on what needs to be
done or what time it is. Perhaps that's a model we can consider down
the road.

> If there's a strong reason for fines.pl and overdue_notices.pl to
> remain split, go ahead like that.

OK. Thanks for your help here!

-Andy