[Koha-devel] RFC: plan to reorganize cronjobs for overdues, notices, and fines

MJ Ray mjr at phonecoop.coop
Thu Jun 5 14:06:41 CEST 2008

"Andrew Moore" <andrew.moore at liblime.com> wrote:
> overdue_notices.pl - will prepare notices for items that are overdue.
> This increments the overdue notice counters.
> fines.pl - will calculate and update patron fines. This will NOT
> prepare notices.
> advance_notices.pl - will prepare notices for items that are not yet
> due, or have just become due. Patrons will have the option of
> receiving these or not.
[...]
> If it looks like this path won't get us to where you think we should
> be, please speak up. If it looks like this is a reasonable way to
> proceed, please feel free to help out.

Can we merge them further?  Firstly, there's the similarilty between
the two notices that Henri notied.  Secondly, it would be good to have
the option of only fining patrons if we've successfully sent a notice
(successful as far as reaching our outgoing mailserver, anyway).
Thirdly, the fewer cronjobs the better!  They are one of the main
stumbling blocks for new sysadmins installing koha, in my experience.

If there's a strong reason for fines.pl and overdue_notices.pl to
remain split, go ahead like that.

Hope that helps,
--
MJ Ray (slef)