[Koha-devel] Koha Plone Contest

Rachel Hamilton-Williams rachel at katipo.co.nz
Thu Jun 26 06:57:07 CEST 2008

Hi Roberto,

Re: http://contest.hanning.name/skin3

This feedback is my personal opinion and not the opinion of Liblime or
the Koha Community as a whole but I hope it can be of some value to you.

Firstly, thank you so much for putting in a design, it was great to see
people's different ideas.

The Koha community incorporates people from many different countries and
from a variety of backgrounds, some are paid to work with Koha, others
are volunteers and we have everyone from librarians to techies and all
in between so it can be a bit of an ask to make us all happy.

One of the things that I think is important is that the koha.org site is
a true community site, and that it doesn't "look" overly like any of the
major commercial players websites.

It does however need to look professional, trustworthy etc.

SO compared to our current look for the Koha.org site, I don't think
this one stacks up so well. I don't know how much of that is "Plone",
but it doesn't look to me as "designed", nor as clean and sort of tidy.

The hompage lacks impact and focus, and it feels too green, and not
"finished".

I got a feeling that it was a bit close to the Liblime colours as well -
although checking their site, it's actually not - but my first
impression was that it was. I guess using the same system as Liblime
it's always a danger that it might be a bit "samey".

I should say I'm quite biased, I was involved in the development of the
current look, and like that.

Hope this helps

Cheers
Rachel