[Koha-devel] updates to patron messaging

Andrew Moore andrew.moore at liblime.com
Fri Jun 13 23:10:55 CEST 2008

Hi Koha contributors -

I've prepared a few patches to start reworking the patron messaging
stuff that we have that's not quite working as we hoped in 3.0. The
patches still have some parts that still need to be cleaned up or
improved in them, and I don't expect them to be applied as is, but I
want to get some feedback on the implementation.

http://arwen.metavore.com/~acm/PatronMessaging/

I added a tab to the opac and to the patron management part of the
staff interface. These allow users to edit preferences about how to
receive the different types of messages sent to patrons.

There is a new cronjob advance_notices.pl that prepares messages to be
sent to patrons to let them know of items that are soon due or have
just become due. I expect to eventually mimic this implementation in
the overdues scripts as I outlined previously.
<http://doiop.com/PatronMessaging>

There is also a new cronjob, process_message_queue.pl, that is
designed to actually send out messages of all kinds through SMS,
email, or RSS and can be extended. I hope to be able to use this for
other messaging besides just these.

In order to send SMS messages, there is a new C4::SMS module that
makes use of the SMS::Send module on CPAN. I'm hopeful that this will
help us consolidate all of the different ways to send SMS messages.

I'm hoping to get this polished up a bunch next week so that it can be
applied, but I wanted to send this out today to make sure that it's
not a surprise when it comes. Please let me know what suggestions or
questions you have.

Thanks!
-Andy