[Koha-devel] RFC for 3.2: Move items data from 952 to 949 by default

MJ Ray mjr at phonecoop.coop
Thu Jun 26 20:31:00 CEST 2008

"Joshua Ferraro" <jmf at liblime.com> wrote:
> As Koha popularity expands, we should consider switching to the 'de facto'
> standard for items data (949). The need was brought to my attention recently
> on an OCLC list where it was discovered that OCLC uses 952 for internal
> codes, and  therefore, it can't be exported. So libraries using OCLC for
> cataloging, who want to manually add their items data to their records,
> download them from OCLC, and them upload into Koha, will have to use
> another tag for items data.

In my opinion, most "de facto" standards aren't worth the paper
they're not written on.  So, I ask:-

1. What other systems are using 949 for items?

2. Aren't all 9xx tags local use?
http://www.loc.gov/marc/specifications/specrecstruc.html#local

3. Could an OCLC-MARC/Koha-MARC filter achieve the same thing?

Thanks,
--
MJ Ray (slef)