[Koha-devel] RFC for 3.2: Move items data from 952 to 949 by default

Joshua Ferraro jmf at liblime.com
Thu Jun 26 20:40:19 CEST 2008

On Thu, Jun 26, 2008 at 2:31 PM, MJ Ray <mjr at phonecoop.coop> wrote:
> "Joshua Ferraro" <jmf at liblime.com> wrote:
>> As Koha popularity expands, we should consider switching to the 'de facto'
>> standard for items data (949). The need was brought to my attention recently
>> on an OCLC list where it was discovered that OCLC uses 952 for internal
>> codes, and  therefore, it can't be exported. So libraries using OCLC for
>> cataloging, who want to manually add their items data to their records,
>> download them from OCLC, and them upload into Koha, will have to use
>> another tag for items data.
>
> In my opinion, most "de facto" standards aren't worth the paper
> they're not written on.  So, I ask:-
Normally, I'd 100% agree, but this is one time I think we should consider it.

> 1. What other systems are using 949 for items?
That I know of: Horizon, Unicorn, VTLS, Innovative Interfaces, TLC and Aleph;
I'm sure there are others.

> 2. Aren't all 9xx tags local use?
> http://www.loc.gov/marc/specifications/specrecstruc.html#local
Yes ...

> 3. Could an OCLC-MARC/Koha-MARC filter achieve the same thing?
No, the problem is specifically that OCLC doesn't allow export of 952 fields,
so the user must store items data in another tag if they want to
export from OCLC.
This could be done as a local customization for this one user by simply
altering their frameworks, but it reveals a underlying assumption that
most ILSes
and bibliographic organizations have: that items are in the 949.

Cheers,

--
Joshua Ferraro SUPPORT FOR OPEN-SOURCE SOFTWARE
CEO migration, training, maintenance, support