[Koha-devel] Re: [Koha] Follett to Koha 2.2.9 migration help

Mason James mason.loves.sushi at gmail.com
Mon Mar 10 04:30:14 CET 2008

On 2008/03/10, at 4:07 PM, Jesse Weaver wrote:

> The missing item info you are describing is because Follet's MICROLIF
> marc records store their item-info in the 852 fields ( from
> memory... )
> (Every ILS vendor have their little quirks about where they stuff the
> item-level info, Follets looks to be in 852
>
> What is needed is a small script to fetch those Follet 852 item-
> values and move them to their corresponding Koha 952 fields, then
> write those corrected records out to a new file.
> Run Bulkmarcimport.pl on this new file, and you will successfully
> pick up those missing item-level values in your Koha marc import.
>

> Can't you just change the marc -> koha links from the 952 subfield
> to 852 ones? Granted, this won't work if you have anything that
> needs to go into the biblio-level tables (like the itemtype), but
> it's worth a shot.
>
> --
> Jesse

Hi Jesse,

That is a good idea to test,  and the exercise may highlight some
subtle mapping bugs in Koha too
I'm not quite sure how Koha would behave set up like that, but it
would be good to confirm either way.

Because i was involved in quite a few ILS to Koha conversions, it
made sense to map the various ILS's marc formats to a 'standard' Koha
format, rather than creating a custom Koha mapping setup for each
client, based on their existing marc format

But for a small one-off install by a library, it could make sense to
change the Koha mapping to match the existing marc format

Cheers, Mason.