[Koha-devel] RFC: create old_issues and old_reserves

Henri-Damien LAURENT laurenthdl at alinto.com
Tue Mar 11 16:28:32 CET 2008

Galen Charlton a écrit :
> Hi,
>
> I would like to create two new tables, old_issues and old_reserves,
> that would be used to store completed checkouts (issues) and hold
> requests (reserves).  Similar to how tables like deleteditems
> function, whenever a checkout or hold request transaction is completed
> or canceled, the row representing it would be moved to old_issues or
> old_reserves respectively.
>
> I believe doing this would have several advantages:
>
> 1. The issues and reserves tables would cease to grow indefinitely;
> instead, they would have only as many rows as needed for a library's
> peak number of transactions.  It is my hope that this would improve
> performance, particularly when processing long hold queues.
>
> 2. It would become possible to add a unique key constraint on
> issues.itemnumber (as an item can be issued only once at a time).
> Similarly, it may become possible to add unique key constraints on
> reserves.
>
> 3. Some queries and joins would be simplified.  Perl code and ad-hoc
> reports could rely on a conceptually simpler notion that if a row is
> present in issues or reserves, it represents a current or otherwise
> active transaction.

Could also be done via status notions.
(And I believe that reserves requires better status management, and
maybe issues and items too)

> 4. Koha administrators could safely archive or truncate the old_issues
> and old_reserves tables if they desire to remove or completely
> anonymize circulation history.
>
> Thoughts?
My comment : Really good Idea,
even though I am not really keen on getting more and more tables without
a good MCD.
(There was one for 2.2 but it is not up to date for 3.0. Maybe QA
manager should/has to do it ;).... )
But My Question : When ?
When are you planning to do that ? Is this Vital for Koha 3.0 features ?
Shouldn't this wait for 3.2 ?

--
Henri-Damien LAURENT