[Koha-devel] Tab stops in source code

Andrew Moore andrew.moore at liblime.com
Thu Nov 13 03:35:12 CET 2008

On Wed, Nov 12, 2008 at 8:15 PM, Rick Welykochy <rick at praxis.com.au> wrote:
> Hi all
>
> In the file abort.pl in Koha 3 I see the follow cryptic comment:
>
> # Please use 8-character tabs for this file (indents are every 4 characters)
>
> Does this mean that tabs should not be used for indentation,
> since a tab would indent 8 character positions in the source?
>
> Does this imply that we should be using FOUR SPACES for each indent
> level?
>
> If the answer to the latter is yes, I must register my protest.

Hi Rick -

I recently tried to gather some of the more common preferences for
formatting perl code in the Koha community and put together this
perltidyrc file:

http://git.koha.org/cgi-bin/gitweb.cgi?p=Koha;a=blob;f=xt/perltidyrc

It might be a good starting point for discussing formatting
preferences for Koha code. I try to use it for code I contribute,
though I most certainly have forgotten sometimes.

I'm not sure about the origin or the accuracy of the particular
comment you pointed out.

-Andy