[Koha-devel] hold on another branch

Joe Atzberger ohiocore at gmail.com
Fri Nov 21 21:08:46 CET 2008

On Fri, Nov 21, 2008 at 1:18 PM, Nahuel ANGELINETTI <
nahuel.angelinetti at biblibre.com> wrote:

> Le Fri, 21 Nov 2008 12:15:04 -0500,
> "Joe Atzberger" <ohiocore at gmail.com> a écrit :
>
> > Nahuel --
> >
> > See perldoc C4::Reserves for the logic and database representation.
> > The holding branch should use the holds "pick list" report from the
> > staff client.  Then when they scan in the retrieved items on that
> > list, the interface will tell them where to transfer it (and update
> > the hold to be paired to that item).
>
> What about available items? The user shouldn't be in the same branch,
> so cannot check out himself.

I don't understand your question.  The "pick list" targets only available
items that are in their regular shelving location.  The library staff
generate the list and retrieve the items listed, scanning them in.  If the
hold is to be picked up in the same library, they are notified to place the
item on the holds shelf.  If pickup is at another library, Koha tells the
staff to transfer the item.  The hold is "waiting" when it is scanned in at
the destination library.  The user doesn't do anything special, regardless
of where they are.

If a holding library doesn't use the "pick list" regularly, than they are
not really supporting other branches' holds.  There's nothing the system can
do about that.

The snag might be if a user tries to claim a book at a library that is NOT
the pickup library on the hold.  There is an outstanding transfer to the
pickup library in that case, which might block any transaction until checked
in at the destination.  That is, in fact, the desired behavior for
transfers.  Once they are in transit, the destination library controls the
issue.

--Joe

> Holds can be complicated, so it is quite possible there could be
> > "leaks", but I think it happens often by libraries not following the
> > workflow correctly (i.e., not scanning the items picked).  In my
> > opinion, this workflow is the correct process for Koha to use,
> > however.
>
> I think, someone should write some use cases of
> holding/checkin/checkout , with single, multiple branches and
> independantbranches to "on" and "off".

Feel free to give it a try.