[Koha-devel] Koha Con 2009? with Development time?

Chris Cormack chris at bigballofwax.co.nz
Fri Nov 21 21:32:28 CET 2008

On Sat, Nov 22, 2008 at 8:34 AM, David Schuster <dschust1 at tx.rr.com> wrote:

> There is a question on the table if this meeting announced as an American
> Conference for Koha should be more like a Koha Con 2009 with the format
> similar to 2006.
>
> With that we would like to schedule a meeting to discuss on IRC the KohaCon
> possibility.
>
> Who wants/would be interested in attending this IRC
> (and eventually a full conference?)

Me

> What days of the week are best for this IRC?
> Times are best for you - GMT for this IRC? -
> http://wwp.greenwichmeantime.com/

Speaking for the other NZers we are GMT+13, which means its hard to
find a time that overlaps with us and the Europeans. It will need to
be either early morning for us and evening for them, or vice versa.
Im out of action from 7am to 8.30am nz time, each morning, and then
between 5pm and 7.30pm each night (Thats when i have a 2 year old
climbing all over me). But I can fit in any other time than that.

> In this discussion we would talk if a developer meeting is of interest?
> Should it be pre or post the Conferece that is being planned for April 16/17
> in the US?
Hmm what dates are easter this year, ahh the weekend before, so friday
the 10th and monday the 13th are public holidays in NZ. (and I guess
there too :)). So might be better after, its always more expensive to
travel round the time of public holidays

> How much time should be considered 1 or 2 days?
For the developer meeting, or the conference? Assuming the developer
meeting, id suggest three,.

> What should those days look like?

Id like it to run like a bar camp, with the first few hours of the
first day being introductions and a brainstorming session to decide
what we want to accomplish in the rest of the time.
It may be that we split into teams to work/talk about things, or we
run just one stream. Im thinking much like how software freedom day is
run. The reason I think three days, is it gives us time to do some
social interaction too, which I think is super important for a well
functioning community.
We could maybe have talks/discussions running as one stream, and a
hackfest running as the other, and people can float between as they
feel the desire.

> Where is the best place to house them(how many is of concern along with
> other needed items if they are to meet)

I think somewhere with caffeine and internet :) I can pretty much
survive with just that :)
In all seriousness, close to places to get food would be good too.

> In addition I would love to hear any input this group might have for the
> April 16/17 "conference" as well.  Presentations - workshop etc... how it
> should be structured for a meeting of users and developers.

If we have the developer conference after (open to current developers
and maybe to wannabe developers too (one of the sessions could be a
developer bootstrap). Then we could tailor the conference itself more
towards the users.

Just some thoughts.

Thanks for getting the ball rolling and organising this David.

Chris