[Koha-devel] [RFC ver2 4/4] DBIx::Class - Changes to C4::Members to start using DBIx::Class

Joshua Ferraro jmf at liblime.com
Sat Nov 22 12:54:17 CET 2008

On Sat, Nov 22, 2008 at 2:04 AM, Henri-Damien LAURENT
<laurenthdl at alinto.com> wrote:
> Andrew Moore a écrit :
>> So far, they have consisted only of these emails I've been sending out
>> from git. They contain a "0" patch that contains no code, but just
>> documentation. Then the patches show the creation of the C4::Schema
>> object and a few examples of how we could use it.
>>
>> Now that it is looking more likely that this project is viable,
>> perhaps I need to start a wiki page for it and capture some of these
>> ideas and concerns in a little more permanent fashion. I only have
>> time to work on this type of project on Fridays, so look for that this
>> Friday. Feel free to start it or add to it if you would like.
>>
>> Thanks for your help,
>> -Andy
>>
> Hi
> you are doing a great job documenting and investigating. Thank you. I
> still had no time investigating or testing. But I am very glad of such a
> plan to get an ORM in Koha.
>
> Looking at the page you link to on wiki in terms of performances, I can
> see that RDBO seems to be a quicker ORM than DBIC.
> And we already have some performance issue on Circulation.
> Have you considered this alternate ORM which I have come across only
> some days ago ?
> Or will we have to use DBI, which is still 8 times faster (according to
> the tests http://code.google.com/p/rose/wiki/RDBOBenchmarksWithDBI )
> than DBIC for circulation which is a critical part in Koha ?
>
> I donot want to slow down things. But I want to be sure that what we
> choose is the best alternative to fit our requirements.
Speed is definitely a major concern here ... and I believe it's one of
the reasons that Koha originally wasn't written with an ORM. Andy, any
thoughts about what this choice will mean w/respect to performance?

Cheers,

CEO                         migration, training, maintenance, support