[Koha-devel] Koha PEOPLE Efficiency [WAS: RFC: Koha : Merge biblio & biblioitems tables]

Rick Welykochy rick at praxis.com.au
Wed Nov 26 01:30:12 CET 2008

Chris Cormack wrote:

> <RANT>
> What you say may be all well and good, but I have yet to see a single
> patch from you.
> Want some bugs fixed? How bout fixing a couple yourself, show us all
> how its done eh?
> </RANT>

Stay tuned :)

Although, I have no plans to rewrite the Koha data model and install an
ORM by myself.

The more I think about that, the more I see a need for introducing and adhering
to some "best practices" for software systems into Koha, i.e. can we please
consider the following steps to be taken before we just start writing code, i.e.

(*) requirement specs

(*) analysis of those to produce some design guidelines

(*) design of the new and modified software

(*) NOW WE CAN CODE IT UP!

(*) testing systems

(*) installation, configuration and deployment mgmt

There are peer reviews at each of the above steps. And there are more
steps I haven't mentioned.

Some of the above steps are being done now, in an ad hoc manner. Failing
to adhere to best practices in software projects means that the developers
suffer at the cost of the quality of the delivered product.

I am more than willing to share my experiences and experience in this
realm to assist in getting Koha to stand out as a quality FOSS project.

Please don't read any criticism I write here as an attack. I am attempting
to introduce some quality that is lacking.

If you review my posts to this list over the past few years, you will
see that I have introduced some changes towards that goal.

I am not here to whine and complain. I have much better things to do
with my time.

cheers
rickw