[Koha-devel] Koha PEOPLE Efficiency [WAS: RFC: Koha : Merge biblio & biblioitems tables]

Galen Charlton galen.charlton at liblime.com
Wed Nov 26 02:00:42 CET 2008

Hi,

On Tue, Nov 25, 2008 at 7:30 PM, Rick Welykochy <rick at praxis.com.au> wrote:
> Although, I have no plans to rewrite the Koha data model and install an
> ORM by myself.

Good thing that you don't have to do it by yourself, then, and that
there are others discussing, planning, and coding this.  You've seen
Andy's trial patches; please feel free to send supplementary patches
or even counterpatches.

> The more I think about that, the more I see a need for introducing and adhering
> to some "best practices" for software systems into Koha, i.e. can we please
> consider the following steps to be taken before we just start writing code, i.e.
>
> (*) requirement specs
>
> (*) analysis of those to produce some design guidelines
>
> (*) design of the new and modified software

Which is currently being done via the RFC process.

> (*) NOW WE CAN CODE IT UP!
>
> (*) testing systems
>
> (*) installation, configuration and deployment mgmt
>
> There are peer reviews at each of the above steps. And there are more
> steps I haven't mentioned.

Peer review is open to anybody who cares to subscribe to the
koha-patches list and comments.  Are you volunteering to help with
patch review?

> Please don't read any criticism I write here as an attack. I am attempting
> to introduce some quality that is lacking.

Well, good.  Nobody is perfect, no software project is perfect,
there's always room for improvement, and good ideas can come from
anyone.  However, talk is cheap: ultimately, the best way to make your
case is to fix problems and deliver quality patches that others find
worthy of emulation.  Don't like gaps in the project's process?  Step
up and fill one of them.

Regards,

Galen
--