[Koha-devel] [RFC ver2 4/4] DBIx::Class - Changes to C4::Members to start using DBIx::Class

Rick Welykochy rick at praxis.com.au
Thu Nov 27 12:32:45 CET 2008

Paul POULAIN wrote:

> What is a shame is that the librarian can enter something, enter "OK",
> and ... see nothing ... the value hasn't be added due to a FK error, and
> nothing on the browser : everything seems OK ! Quite annoying for the
> librarian !

Her is why:

C4::Context creates the database connection as follows:

my $dbh= DBI->connect("DBI:$db_driver:dbname=$db_name;host=$db_host;port=$db_port",
     $db_user, $db_passwd)

What is missing is the options arg: { RaiseError => 1}
V. important!

> We can't ask the librarian to look in error.log ! So we need to display
> something on the browser, like "Oups, something goes wrong. Ask the Koha
> team and specify the following problem : "FK contraint at xxxxx.pm, line
> YYY, koha version X.XX.XX.XXX" "
>
> Fortunatly, those errors are very uncommon, and I think I've seen them
> occuring only when a part of the DB has been entered through SQL insert
> & not the browser. But we should trap that anyway ! (as we should trap
> any SQL error)

This all relates to the application architecture. Is error handling to be
done by checking error codes and responding accordingly, or are exceptions
to be used?

BTW: We should trap *any* error.

cheers
rickw

--
Rick Welykochy || Praxis Services

Censorship is telling a man he can't have a steak just because
a baby can't chew it.
      -- Attributed to Mark Twain