[Koha-devel] Not know how to use finesMode

Michael Hafen mdhafen at tech.washk12.org
Wed Oct 15 18:08:13 CEST 2008

I'll assume you have the circulation and fines rules setup already for
overdue fines.  Also it sounds like you have Koha version 3, so I'll
assume you do.

Setting finesMode to "production" is the first step.  The next is to
make a cron job to run the script "fines.pl" once a day.  There is an
example cron file included with koha.  In the source tree it's
misc/cronjobs/crontab.example.  In the install tree it's
bin/cronjobs/crontab.example.  This file is an example for the setup of
a scheduled process on a unix style system ( like Linux ).  Edit this
file to suite your need.

A few things to watch out for:
For me to get this to work I had to run each process as "root" instead
of "koha", on each line I replaced '$KOHA_USER' with 'root'
The lines near the top, PERL5LIB, KOHA_CONF, and KOHA_CRON_PATH need to
be set to match your install.
On the line for fines, you may need to change 'longoverdue.pl' to
'fines.pl' or 'fines2.pl' depending on which version of Koha 3 you have.
If you see 'fines.pl' in the bin/cronjobs folder then that is the one to
use.

Once this is edited to your needs copy or link it to the /etc/cron.d
directory.  You may have to touch the /etc/crontab file before cron will
realize it's there.

Once you have the cron job running properly your overdue fines show up
the next day.  You can watch the system log to see if cron complains
about anything while reading the file.  Mine now is complaining that the
wrong users owns the crontab file.

Good luck.